interesting balance beam mounts

Gymblog — bored of contemporary EASY mounts — linked to a terrific video.

Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.

I miss the era of the “originality” bonus. There’s no incentive now to do anything unusual. Judges are more likely to deduct, than credit you.

Including Aisha Gerber, Alexandra Marinescu, Andreea Munteanu, Catalina Ponor, Charlotte Mackie, Daniela Silivas, Daniele Hypolito, Dominique Dawes, Dominique Moceanu, Elene Zamolodchikova, Elise Ray, Elvire Teza, Elyse Hopfner-Hibbs, Emilia Eberle, Grace Taylor , Hollie Vise, Ivana Hong, Kim Zmeskal, Kristie Phillips, Lavinia Milosovici, Li Li, Ludivine Furnon, Ludmilla Ezhova, Melanie Sinclair, Mo Huillan, Natalia Shaposhnikova, Olga Korbut, Olga Mostepanova, Shannon Miller, Shayla Worley, Svetlana Khorkina, Tatiana Groshkova, Tatiana Lysenko and Terin Humphrey.

#1 shergymrag on 11.24.08 at 1:37 pm

I don’t want to see originality bonus. Let the gymnasts have any skill they invent named after them. Even the easy ones like the “lori-hop”. I think in order to get a move named after you now it has to be C or greater or something.

#2 Ashley on 11.24.08 at 3:40 pm

I would love to see originality bonus or at least see gymnast doing creative things somehow rewarded (whether it simply be throuhg artistry or variety of skills). I personally hate “cookie cutter” routines on any event, and we are seeing way too much of it right now. Keep in mind, something does not need to be difficult to be original or creative, just put something in there that is not being done in every other routine we see.

#3 Jenn on 11.24.08 at 5:54 pm

We call boring mounts “Marta mounts,” since Marta Karolyi pushes for them.

#4 Hannah on 11.24.08 at 6:01 pm

I loved Jacqui Dunn’s “Dunn” mount, round-off half to forward walkover – tricky tricky but such an exciting way to start a routine… I just always worried what would happen if her hand’s slipped or missed the beam, it would have been impossible to ‘save’ mid air!

#5 TCO on 11.24.08 at 6:27 pm

They should use the scoring to incentivize mounts, the way they do with dismounts.

#6 coach Rick on 11.24.08 at 9:22 pm