Prudnova .gif

Alyssa starkofwinterfell made a .gif of that new double front Vault video by Yelena Produnova in 1999.

Some are critical of the “deductions“.

It reminds me of the first triple backs on Floor. Men’s judges were very reluctant to take any deduction, other than landing.

“When somebody proves you can do it with knees together, we’ll start deducting.”

That was our thinking, regardless of what was written in the Code.

#1 anonymous on 10.12.12 at 6:28 am

BEST VAULT EVER DONE BY A WOMAN, sorry McKayla, I love you but even your stuck amanar can’t matcht hat

#2 shergymrag on 10.12.12 at 9:23 am

Judges. Breaking the code quad after quad.

#3 sele on 10.12.12 at 12:28 pm

they way I see it, it was that kind of leniency that encouraged and brought about the most innovative gymnastics in history.

#4 TCO on 10.12.12 at 2:08 pm

GRRRR. RICK.

Stop with the excusing score cheating.

Follow the ffff…grr…no swearing…grrr…ull code.

#5 Coach M on 10.12.12 at 4:38 pm

I agree. This is the best WAG vault ever done. 10.0 — and agree with the philosophy to deduct when people start doing it without cowboy tuck or whatever the deductions were.

#6 sele on 10.12.12 at 5:59 pm

I mean what is there to deduct? the step on the landing? the cowboy? the flexed feet I guess? It’s high, properly rotated, properly blocked (legs together) AND SHE OPENS UP FOR IT,

what was the deduction for cowboying back then?

#7 crystal J on 10.12.12 at 7:04 pm

I give it a 9.8 flexed feet and sleight cowboy, but it is a truly awesome vault I am amazed every time I see it!!!

#8 shergymrag on 10.13.12 at 8:56 am

“I mean what is there to deduct? the step on the landing? the cowboy? the flexed feet I guess? ”

Of course. All of that.

“It’s high, properly rotated, properly blocked (legs together) AND SHE OPENS UP FOR IT, ”

Awesome and fantastic. Still no reason to ignore obvious deductions. Seriously, one minute “people” are bitching about how the scores are all boxed up. The next minute they are singing the praises of the type of judging that keeps scores boxed up.

“what was the deduction for cowboying back then?”

I can’t recall off hand. Can look it up later.

#9 Hutch on 10.15.12 at 8:08 am

…and when you don’t deduct properly you get gymnasts like Pena making finals with a vault she is not safely prepared to do.

#10 shergymrag on 10.15.12 at 7:47 pm

If I’m understanding this table correctly, I think the judges could take deductions in .05 increments up to the maximum deduction for the fault listed in the table in the code. Some deductions are shaded which means they are flat deductions.

Looks leg separations were from .05 to .15 back then.

The landing deductions all appear to be flat deductions.
For “slight hop, unsureness” the deduction was .05. The deduction for “1 step” was .1.

“Poor foot, head position, or arm work throughout entire exercise” was .05 up to .20 (I think).