Peng is out

Devastated.

Christine Peng Peng Lee is the gymnast I was most looking forward to cheering in London.

The bad news comes from the BC Gymnastics blog. And Christine herself on Twitter.

@PengPengCLee:

Due to my knee I’ve withdrawn from the Olympic selection process but I’m ecstatic to be named honorary team captain for 2012 Olympic Games.

The MRI revealed that she had torn her ACL.

NEW Olympic Selection List invited to Camp June 26-28th:

Elsabeth Black (NS), Talia Chiarelli (ON), Jessica Dowling(ON), Madeline Gardiner (ON), Mikaela Gerber (ON), Victoria Moors (ON), Dominique Pegg (ON), Brittany Rogers (B.C.), Jessica Savona (ON), Briannah Tsang (BC), Anysia Unick (AB), Kristina Vaculik (ON)

UPDATE:

The official news was communicated by email to a select list of stakeholders.

… WAG has invited Peng to be involved in the last preparation phase in Gatineau, Basildon and London for the Games to ensure that the athletes will continue to benefit from her positive attitude …

I’ve posted the entire email in a comment on this post.

I assumed Stefanie Merkle would be on the list invited to the final selection Camp. Leave a comment if you know why she’s not.

(via Aunt Joyce)

#1 Claudine on 06.01.12 at 9:20 pm

I teared up when I saw the news. I was so looking forward to her Olympic journey, too :(

#2 coach Rick on 06.01.12 at 9:38 pm

From: “Lise Gosselin-Simard”
Date: June 1, 2012 2:34:06 PM PDT
To: “All Recipients2″
Subject: Olympic Games Selection Process – Short List of Athletes in Women’s Artistic Gymnastics

June 1, 2012

The 2012 Olympic Games Selection Working Group has completed the identification of the athletes on the short list based on the selection process in effect.

As most of you know, Peng-Peng (Christine) Lee suffered a knee injury during the pre-competition training session of the Regina Canadian Championships. She and her family informed us yesterday that Christine has decided to withdraw from the selection process. Here is the message that we received from Peng-Peng this morning.

To all my family, gym friends and fans,

The last couple of weeks have been very difficult due to my recent knee injury. I was informed that I had torn my ACL and was devastated because I’ve committed such a huge part of my life to the sport. It happened at a very bad time and as you can imagine, the news was extremely hard to digest.

I have spent a great deal of time consulting with doctors and did a lot of soul searching to determine what was best for me. I have decided to withdraw from the selection process for the 2012 Olympic Games. I do not want to rush into doing gymnastics for the Olympics if my knee could be at a greater risk and possibly affect me in the future. I will be attending the Olympic Games to support Team Canada and will be cheering them at the top of my lungs!

I want to take this opportunity to thank my coaches, Gymnastics Canada, teammates and fans for all the love and support you have given me through this difficult time. I am truly honoured to be surrounded by such loving and supportive people. All of you have really helped lift my spirits with your kind words and well wishes. I’ve read every single message and have taken it to heart. I love you all!!!

I am really excited about continuing my gymnastics career at UCLA and becoming part of the Bruin Family. I still have the same passion and love for the sport and look forward to competing in the future.

Peng-Peng Lee

Peng-Peng brings to the team much more than her performances on the floor. Gymnastics Canada recognizes that she is a dynamic and respected leader among the WAG NT athletes and that her winning attitude and determination are commendable. WAG has invited Peng to be involved in the last preparation phase in Gatineau, Basildon and London for the Games to ensure that the athletes will continue to benefit from her positive attitude, her dynamic personality and crow appeal as well as her ability to perform very well under pressure. Peng will be able to contribute in many ways to the success of the WAG Team. We are pleased that she has accepted the position of Honorary WAG Team Captain for the 2012 Olympic Games.

The Selection Working Group is pleased to announce that the following athletes have been named to the short list for the Olympic Games:

1) Elsabeth Black, Halifax Alta, NS, David Kikuchi and Keiji Yamanaka

2) Talia Chiarelli, Bluewater, Sarnia, ON, David and Elizabeth Brubaker (injury special case)

3) Jessica Dowling, Dynamo, Cambridge, ON, Elvira Saadi and Sarah Rainey

4) Madeline Gardiner, Dynamo, Cambridge, ON, Elvira Saadi and Sarah Rainey

5) Mikaela Gerber, Oakville Gym, ON Kelly and Susan Manjak

6) Victoria Moors, Dynamo, Cambridge, ON, Elvira Saadi and Sarah Rainey

7) Dominique Pegg, Bluewater, Sarnia, ON, David and Elizabeth Brubaker

8) Brittany Rogers, Flicka, North Vancouver, BC, David Kenwright and Dorina Stan

9) Jessica Savona, Oakville Gym, ON, Kelly and Susan Manjak

10) Briannah Tsang, Flicka, North Vancouver, BC, David Kenwright and Dorina Stan

11) Anysia Unick, Calgary Gym, AB, Janna Ball and Gerrit Beltman

12) Kristina Vaculik, Gemini, Oshawa, ON, Elena Davydova, Valery Yahchybekov

WAG is delighted to have twelve talented and determined athletes who will gather at the Centre Sportif de Gatineau, home of the Unigym club for a Selection Camp which will include a competition on June 26th and 28th. We trust that at the end of the selection process, Canada will have one of the best ever team at the London Games.

We wish the athletes, their coaches and parents the very best of luck in Gatineau.

Lise Gosselin-Simard

#3 Dana on 06.01.12 at 10:15 pm

Devastated indeed. Glad you could include the communication from her directly to GCG sent by Lise. It’s so very well written and shows what a wonderful leader and inspiration she is. Kudos to GCG for keeping her in the mix as naming her honorary team Captain. Well deserved and a testament to her leadership. Best wishes for a speedy recovery Peng. Canada adores you.

#4 Coach S on 06.01.12 at 10:37 pm

Regarding Merkle: http://gymnasticscoaching.com/new/2012/05/cdn-wag-olympic-selection/

So much for trusting the points system. Is she injured maybe?

#5 M. on 06.02.12 at 3:58 am

Such a shame :( I was looking forward to her competing!!! Atleast she’s still hoping to come back once she’s healed! She’s so much fun to watch!!

#6 WW on 06.02.12 at 6:15 am

I teared up as well. I fear bad for her and for Canada.
I wish that they had included a couple more bars specialists in the mix for the selection process (e.g. Chong)

#7 coach Rick on 06.02.12 at 7:26 am

Chong is the next alternate for Olympic camp, I believe. She’d get in if any of the 12 withdraw for any reason.

#8 MP on 06.02.12 at 10:23 am

Once again, the points system displays it’s complete stupidity; along with the springboard issue on the other post. GCG is a joke, and when will they ever put what is best for the gymnasts? As we all know, it won’t ever happen until those running it now are gone.

Just curious though, with the list of athletes shown above, why is there a smiley icon beside Brittany Rogers name?

#9 coach Rick on 06.02.12 at 10:28 am

My software ASSumes the real characters are a shorthand for an emoticon. I’ll go fix it.

I do like Brit, though.

#10 WW on 06.02.12 at 10:28 am

8) it makes a smilie by computer default, a 8 and a )

#11 Taz on 06.02.12 at 12:22 pm

Noooo! This breaks my heart. She’s one of my favorite gymnasts and I was so hoping to see her compete in London.

#12 Jenna on 06.02.12 at 2:14 pm

Why would Chong be picked over Merkle? She is not injured, BTW.

#13 coach Rick on 06.02.12 at 7:18 pm

By Grace’s calculation, Merkle should have been invited in the original top 12 list:

#14 WW on 06.02.12 at 10:57 pm

Basing this strictly on nationals, and on D-Score potential:
Chong was 3rd in UB finals, which is now Canada’s weak point. Unfortunately for her, she had a bad meet other than on bars and didn’t make AA finals, ending up 19th in the qualifying round. Her results at nationals don’t really show what she’s capable of. Her D-scores are pretty consistent across the board and she has shown significant improvement there since Elite Canada. It seems likely that she could have gotten the D-scores up even a little higher by the Olympics.

Merkle was 19th on UB and 16AA in Qualifiers. She made only one EF, floor, and placed 4th. While her D-Scores are rather higher than Chong’s on BB and FX, she didn’t make BB finals and FX is already Canada’s strongest event.

#15 WW on 06.02.12 at 10:58 pm

“I can’t find confirmation on the official Gymnastics Canada website. Communication is often slow or non-existent from GymCan.org. …”
Yeah, the whole website is gone down. Did you do that? ;-)

#16 coach Rick on 06.03.12 at 12:21 am

I saw them try to add a Twitter and Facebook button to the home page. Later the site crashed.

Likely that new Code caused the downtime.

#17 WW on 06.03.12 at 7:44 am

They’ve restored the site to end of April condition now.