WHEN WILL MY SUSIE START KIPPING?

Funny cuz it’s true.

This cartoon is 10min long, but worth watching.

… a humorous example of a situation most coaches have encountered at one time or another.

Click PLAY or watch it on xtranormal.

Thanks Jason.

#1 PolyisTCOandbanned on 10.29.10 at 7:05 am

1. Shawn Johnson took a couple years to learn a kip and said it was her hardest skill to learn.

2. Do boys struggle on this skill? Adults? Is it a strength thing?

#2 coach Rick on 10.29.10 at 7:15 am

Boys don’t fell as “rushed” to get it.

It requires about 5 chin-ups and a 15sec V-hold.

#3 Bogwoppit on 10.29.10 at 7:49 am

Priceless video, I am sharing it with the Chalkbucket members!

#4 wendy on 10.29.10 at 8:13 am

this is AWESOME! sooo funny!

#5 Geoffrey Taucer on 10.29.10 at 8:16 am

HAHAHAHAHA!

#6 Ashley on 10.29.10 at 9:08 am

Absolutely love this. Thanks Rick!

#7 Dana on 10.29.10 at 9:45 am

I am considering emailing this to either ALL parents or a select few who deserve to be made a mockery of based on their recent behaviour…..thank you Rick – love it!

#8 D S Briggs on 10.29.10 at 10:47 am

This is the best video! Love it!!!

#9 Matt on 10.29.10 at 11:19 am

Love it! Thanks for putting it up.

#10 Kathy on 10.29.10 at 11:54 am

This is so awesome!!!! Brilliantly done!!!

#11 PolyisTCOandbanned on 10.29.10 at 2:29 pm

I learnd to do it as an adult (p-bars) by just trying it. Didn’t have the benefit of all this breakdown stuff (which I think is very good really, but was not available to me). Took me a few practices, but nothing extreme.

#12 formercoach on 10.29.10 at 2:53 pm

Poly, kip on p-bars is much easier on p-bars than on woman’s low bar.

#13 TippingCows on 10.29.10 at 4:12 pm

Love it!

#14 PolyisTCOandbanned on 10.29.10 at 4:47 pm

oh…I could do the kip on the side too, though (same as UPB, no)? Actually that came really fast and I quickly could do kip to V and all that. Maybe we should do kip on the end on PBs as a progression, if it is easier. once you get that, you start to have the feel maybe and can do it on the side? donno…

#15 formercoach on 10.29.10 at 5:09 pm

For girls who have trouble learning kip, I’ve often taught it on p-bars (end) first.

#16 TippingCows on 10.30.10 at 2:04 am

I have watched this five times and I can’t stop. It just makes me feel like I’m not alone in this world :)
It’s so typical of *that* type of parent. The conversation starts out with “We are pleased to be here/thank you for blah blah” and ends with, “You are the reason my daughter is (blah), we will not be coming back because (blah).”

#17 JO on 10.30.10 at 5:49 pm

Poly, a kip of any kind is much easier for a grown man with good upper body strength. I have seen several men in an adult gymnastics class learn it however they use very little technique. To get little girls (6 and 7) who have very tiny hands, little upper body strength, and can’t really truly understand the timing is difficult.

BTW I love this video it is soooooo true!

#18 Funny video « Oakville Men's Gymnastics on 11.01.10 at 8:44 pm

[…] WHEN WILL MY SUSIE START KIPPING? — Gymnastics Coaching.com […]

#19 MY SUSIE – THE MOST TALENTED GYMNAST EVER — Gymnastics Coaching.com on 11.20.10 at 5:02 am

[…] a couple of good points to make … but I’d go back and listen yet again to the hilarious WHEN WILL MY SUSIE START KIPPING?, […]

#20 classicpranksterrzzzz on 12.03.10 at 4:13 pm

this is soooooooooooooo STUPID. biggestest waste of my life. this is worst than actually being at gym. ill drop a golden deuce on this video if i see it one more time. take it from two level 10’s. PEACE.

#21 Ron Zahursky on 02.10.11 at 1:48 pm

This video really just speaks to the ridiculous conversations you have to have from time to time that, if you could get that time back in a lump sum, you’d be able to take a week’s paid vacation. A coach told me of a parent telling him how her daughter just got her “double back”. Towards the end of the ten minute long conversation he realized she meant two back handsprings.