do what you do best, link to the rest

Define provenance

… Can you do it?

I couldn’t.

provenance
noun
the place of origin or earliest known history of something

On the internet that means trying to “source” where a video, photo or idea started. At minimum, you should link to where you first saw it. Best practice is to link to the original and where you happened to see it first.

On this blog I’d say I’m about 90% successful in crediting a source. Not perfect. But not bad.

Tara Sickmeier of International Gymnast Hot Headlines is the worst gymnastics blogger I know. If she ever credits where she finds a story it’s only by accident of linking to the originator. If she sees something on Gymnastics Coaching, there’s never a (via Gymnastics Coaching) link on IG.

I’ve several times sent messages to Tara on her unethical blogging behaviour. But have yet to get a response.

Forward a link to this post if you know her personally.

(via Buzz Machine – New rule: Cover what you do best. Link to the rest)

#1 Dave on 06.27.10 at 6:01 pm

Saying she’s a blogger is giving way too much credit. Doesn’t she just copy the first paragraph and link to things. I often wonder if IG even knows that stuff is on their website.

#2 PolyisTCOandbanned on 06.27.10 at 6:14 pm

I had you down as the best aggregator, back when I surveyed the gymternet for WWGym. Before they banned me.

#3 Eurofan on 06.28.10 at 2:19 am

Most of Amanda Turner’s articles use quotes from other websites without giving credit. The quotes from Rodionenko and Alexandrov in their Euros coverage were all taken from allsportinfo.ru but the article made it sound like they had been interviewed by IG.

#4 Dave on 06.28.10 at 7:19 am

Eurofan are you serious? You really think they’d know better, having been around so long. I had no idea. I did think they were interviewing people overseas.

#5 TripleTwistPunchFront on 06.28.10 at 1:36 pm

IG has become a bit of a joke over the last decade or so, unfortunately. They used to have such well-done stories and meet reports.

#6 Tom Beach on 06.28.10 at 3:03 pm

Your site gymnasticscoaching.com is a great example of how to do it right. We appreciate all you do.

#7 coach Rick on 06.28.10 at 4:43 pm

Thanks Tom.

#8 Cam on 07.18.10 at 2:25 pm

Coach Rick-

This recently happened to me. I e-mailed Paul Zeirt and Dwight Normile about it, and got an indirect response from Bart Conner about it. Bart asked Tara to reply to me to get the situation rectified.

Hopefully we can get this taken care of so she doesn’t rip off any more blogs as her own.

-Cam @ World Gymnastics

#9 coach Rick on 07.18.10 at 9:31 pm

Good for you, Cam.

I’ve had no response at all.