OSU gymnast Tasha Smith Floor

One of the girls at the gym today brought in these entertaining routines by the Oregon State University great Tasha Smith.

Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube. She’s a “popper“.

2006

Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube. Score 10.

2007

I love this extreme Floor choreography. FIG routines are so dull and predictable by comparison.

#1 shergymrag on 01.30.09 at 6:46 am

These routines would be great if she was a better dancer. She doesn’t know how to finish her moves. They don’t look complete.

#2 vanessa on 01.30.09 at 8:11 am

That first one, especially, is terrific.

#3 Katrina Burton on 01.30.09 at 9:08 am

I think the tumbling in both routines are awesome!

BUT… the dance just doesn’t reel me in. I thought they both portrayed the girl as one of those people you see on ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ that think they are amazing, yet everyone knows they’re not, but their friends are too nice to say anything. You got to be something fierce to pull off hip hop/popping style dancing in a gym suit, and IMO this girl wouldn’t look good doing it in the traditional baggy clothing. Maybe she just needs more facial expressions. On all the close ups she didn’t really give me that impression that she was trying to ‘work’ the crowd.

You want to see some crowd pleasing routines Rick… come check out our West Wind’s team at this year’s P3 TEAM Challenge. We were “OFF THE HOOK” as one girl discribed us last year! Wish I had a video to show you.

#4 shergymrag on 01.30.09 at 10:10 am

“You got to be something fierce to pull off hip hop/popping style dancing in a gym suit, and IMO this girl wouldn’t look good doing it in the traditional baggy clothing. ”

Exactly.

“On all the close ups she didn’t really give me that impression that she was trying to ‘work’ the crowd.”

I don’t know. I feel like she is a performer. I just don’t think she can dance.

#5 Hannah on 01.30.09 at 7:24 pm

“that think they are amazing, yet everyone knows they’re not, but their friends are too nice to say anything”

Katrina, you are hilarious, but most importantly – you could not be MORE RIGHT!

Give me Silivas or Omelianchik or Dudnik any day over this stuff!

Sure, branch out a bit (I always liked the Canadian’s of the late 90’s, early 00’s for their FAB contemporary routines) – but have no interest in pretend hip hop.

#6 apolytongp on 01.31.09 at 7:41 am

1. I like the dance originality and expressiveness. The gestures are coordinated with the music.

2. First one seemed a bit heavy (looks as well as her tumbling).

3. Both of them do double backs so they are better than our sham AA champion.

#7 Marcus on 02.09.09 at 7:02 am

In that first video, she was battling an ankle injury for the entire 2006 season, and she’s not that big, the video is distorted and makes her look wider

#8 Marcus on 02.09.09 at 7:07 am

Oh and there’s a video of her routine last year where she scores a ten