boys in gymnastics

Michael Sanders alerted me to a great blog post from a gym Mom:

I have run across a few people who are shocked that I enrolling my BOY in gymnastics. …

I view gymnastics as being very much a manly sport but other people? Notsomuch. …. Boys should be running around bases or catching footballs; not spending time in a gym learning the fundamentals of gymnastics. Never mind the fact that those fundamentals- strength, flexibility, and coordination are integral to every aspect of athetics.

… “What? Is the local karate studio full?” and “Wouldn’t he prefer soccer?”.

Gavin has already shown signs of mad gymnastics talent. He is super strong. … The kid can spin and spin and spin and never waver (again, a result of all his sensory stuff). … He can stand on his head, flip around a bar at the playground, hang forever and a day while swinging from a bar, do a somersault, and do splits. When we went to visit my nieces, they were performing all their gymnastics moves and the boy could totally do or at least try to do everything that they did and they have already had years of lessons. Plus, he wanted to do what they did.

Gymnastics: Not just for girls – by Officially a Mom.

A boy doing gymnastics in the 1970s, I can’t honestly say I got much criticism. Once I got good at it, I only recall getting respect from my peers.

In 2006 any stigma about boys doing gymnastics should be dismissed as ignorance.

Gymnastics is great for EVERYONE. But it’s long been my conclusion that the sport benefits 6-year-old boys most. That is the ideal target age and gender in my experience.

slide0032_image019.jpg
Taiso Gymnastics

#1 Jacob Small on 10.20.06 at 5:47 am

Oh, but coaching young boys!!! Everyone knows that boys make you earn your money when they’re younger.

My Plan of Attack when going into a boys class is to move faster than they do in order to keep their attention and keep them moving.

How many years will I be able to keep this up I wonder.

#2 coach Rick on 10.20.06 at 10:07 am

Absolutely right!

Keep them moving and they will not have time to dream up ways to cause trouble. Fighting, for example.

#3 Dave on 04.12.07 at 9:50 pm

All of you who coach “on the dark side” have my intense and heartfelt respect and gratitude!

Several hours of “little maniacs” can surely make you appreciate a quiet glass of wine and time to watch “Love Actually,” or some other “chick” flick! :)

I always found that contests that tired them out near the beginning allowed at least a small amount of breathing room… and contests in general… boys love anything to do with contests, and you can get a lot of mileage out of a piece of candy or even the “sceptre of Power” that goes to the winner of the contest (until the next contest, when someone else wins and takes it away. Gice them a cheesy wand to parade around, and let them be first in line while they have it (provided they don’t misbehave, and lose their sceptre and the associated privelidges) and every boy in the class will vie for the honor, in any contest you name.

DA

#4 James Priolo on 09.20.07 at 9:47 pm

That’s a cool picture. I wish I would have taken gymnastics when I was a kid. I’m in my forties now and I still love playing on apparatus like the monkey bars.

#5 josh penman on 09.28.09 at 2:28 am

hello you all must be very good at your jobs becoz i am only 16 and i have taken sports leadership in scotland i get to take a gymnastics class everyday all day with girls, boys and other classes liked mixed classes i reakon you are all right in saying that gyumanstics isnt just for girls but for anyone that ias willing to learn or to listen or to be taught a the highest.

i think that you all must like your jobs because it sounds like you are all good at it and are willing to help the kids and even learn your selfs and it is true that if you teach faster than they can muck around or do anything bad then they have hardly anytime to think but they will think about wat they are about to do so well done guys and i hope you all have fun in gymnastics and i might just be a teenager myself but i do know wat i am talking about in saying thanks because you have all taught me that gymnastics isnt just a sport but a very fun thing aswell so thanks alot for everything:)

#6 KM on 04.05.11 at 12:24 pm

My 6 year old will be taking gymnastics and hanging with girlssss….. yay…