The All-Around Championships were not nearly as strong as preliminaries. Even National Champion Elyse Hopfner-Hibbs, who had a great meet overall, stepped out of bounds on three tumbling passes.
2008 Canadian Championships
June 5, Calgary
Senior Women’s All-Around Final
1. Elyse Hopfner-Hibbs (Sport Seneca, ON) 57.900
2. Kristina Vaculik (Gemini, ON) 57.200
3. Peng-Peng Lee (Sport Seneca, ON) 56.200
4. Alyssa Brown (Mississauga, ON) 55.850
5. Sydney Sawa (CGC, AB) 55.250
6. Brittany Rogers (Omega, BC) 54.850
7. Charlotte Mackie (Omega, BC) 54.800
8. Emma Willis (Bluewater, ON) 53.200
9. Stephanie McGregror (Gymtastics, AB) 52.650
10. Sarah Flett (Springers, MB) 50.850
11. Barbara Gasser (Bluewater, ON) 50.350
12. Nansy Damianova (Gymnix, QC) 27.950 … (only 2 apparatus)
Day 1 scores were higher:
Kristina Vaculik 58.95
Elyse Hopfner-Hibbs 58.45
Nansy Damianova 57.80
Junior Women’s All-Around Final
1. Dominique Pegg (Bluewater, ON) 55.700
2. Anysia Unick (Stampede City, AB) 55.650
3. Ti Liu (Gymnix, QC) 54.300
full results will be posted on Gym Score Depot
Hopfner-Hibbs outscored top qualifier Kristina Vaculik by seven tenths of a point to recapture the title she won in 2006. The 18-year-old Hopfner-Hibbs was the top scorer on vault, uneven bars and balance beam.
Vaculik, the defending champion, earned the high mark of the night on floor exercise. …
Nansy Damianova, third in qualification, performed uneven bars and floor exercise only in the all-around final. Damianova is currently second behind Hopfner-Hibbs in the points rankings system used to determine Canada’s two Olympic berths.
I was impressed with home town girl Anysia Unick (recently moved from Regina, SK) who finished 2nd in Junior by only .050, a best ever performance.