These are notes and links for coaches who attended the 4-day long NCCP Level 3 Technical course hosted by Okanagan Gymnastics Centre.
Organizing Course Conductor Rick McCharles, editor of this site. Assisting was Heather Ivanitz from the host club.
If your computer will not play these videos (.mov), you need to download some FREE software:
BEST SOURCES FOR COACHING VIDEOS:
• John Geddert DVDs $
• GymSmarts DVDs $
• GymSmarts Gymnastics Minute YouTube channel FREE
• American Gymnast FREE
• the same American Gymnast videos on the JoeLangley YouTube channel FREE
• JAO YouTube FREE
• Rick’s GymnasticsCoaching.com YouTube channel FREE
• gymdrills.com videos $ some FREE
• MostepanovaFan YouTube FREE
BEST WEBSITES for COACHES:
Search GymnasticsCoaching.com first …
• Introduction – Rick McCharles (Presentation MOVIE)
All the important skills are in the Level 2 Technical course. If your kids have problems with BASICS, they’ll almost certainly have big problems with advanced skills. Keep going back to Basics for the entire career. (Manjak’s girls do sets of back handsprings every day, even at the Elite level.)
• Understand-Teach model (Presentation MOVIE)
• Physical Preparation (Presentation MOVIE)
• Simplified Biomechanics (Presentation MOVIE)
– Understanding and Teaching Competitive Gymnastics Skills (PDF)
• Trampoline for Gymnasts
Trampoline for Gymnasts 2010 MASTER
– preparation for double saltos
~ prep for double back
~ prep for double front (or avoiding double fronts as too dangerous)
Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.
~ backward twisting we did instead during the tumbling module
• Handspring 1/1
• Tsukahara (Presentation MOVIE)
From the course Rick put together a short summary of how beginners can ‘FLIP’ their first Tsuk. Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.
• (most difficult, most dangerous) Handspring Front (Presentation MOVIE)
• REVIEW L2 Bars. Click PLAY or watch the REVIEW on YouTube. (Bwd Giant / Free Hip)
Rick recommended we NOT emphasize ‘grip change’ nor ‘straight elbows’ too much with beginners. Instead let them get comfortable with swings around the bar by doing sole circles at a young age.
Click PLAY or watch the IDEAL on YouTube.
• Flyaways (forward and backward) (Presentation MOVIE)
Good set-ups for ‘overshoot’. Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.
Click PLAY or watch Stalder part 2 on YouTube.
BEAM / ARTISTRY
• Tumbling and Dismounts
• Leaps / Jumps / Turns for Beam / Floor
• Artistic Preparation / Choreography for Beam & Floor
Kyle Shewfelt led the L3 Tech tumbling module at a course in 2010. Here’s a short video clip of highlights.
• introduction (Presentation MOVIE)
• backward tumbling and twisting
• forward tumbling
• double back preparation / spotting
COMPUTERS and the INTERNET for coaches
pit cleaning – Okanagan Gymnastics
Click PLAY or watch Okanagan Gymnastics RANDOM on YouTube.