Simone Biles – Olympic Champion?

That’s the way it looks, peering 2 years into the future.

Marta Simone

Mary Lou Retton:

“She’s not human,” Retton said. “She may be the most talented gymnast I’ve ever seen in my life, honestly. And I don’t even think she’s tapped into what she really can do. I think she’s unbeatable.”

Olympic Talk

I called Simone the Uchimura of women’s gymnastics. She can fall once or twice over 4 routines and, most likely finish higher in the all-around than the second best female gymnast in the world.

On the other hand, it’s a long road to Rio.

Dvora MeyerAnxious About The World’s Most Dominant Gymnast? Blame It On Rio.

Simone is not indestructible. She can miss in competition.

But Simone has something that other presumed future Olympic Champions did not have. A relaxed attitude towards the sport.

Simone Biles, Kyla Ross, Brenna Dowell

I believe that increases her chances for a long run at or near the top of the world.

… On the other hand, we felt that way about Katelyn Ohashi. Katelyn is, seemingly, out of contention due to injury. :-(

Siimone Katelyn

Still, it would be an excellent idea to bet NOW on Simone Biles winning the 2016 Olympics.

#1 Hannah on 08.27.14 at 5:33 am

Yep. Best package of power, attitude and talent I’ve ever seen. And I’ve been around for decades. I love her smile too!

#2 Simone Biles – Olympic Champion? | Gymnastics News Network. on 08.27.14 at 7:05 am

[…] Simone Biles – Olympic Champion? […]

#3 Tdog on 08.27.14 at 9:29 am

Sorry my favorite most powerful was Shawn Johnson. Anything can happen; at her peak before injuries. No body could touch kaitlyn oshie. If kaitlyn was still here she would be the best female gymnist. I’m putting my money on bailie key next year. Haters will hate I call it now she’ll take over next year. Say what you want she’ll steal the show nxt year and can win the aa

#4 Lauren H on 08.27.14 at 9:53 am

I love Simone, but after what happened to Rebecca Bross, I will NEVER pick an Olympic team 2 years before. ANYTHING can happen. I really hope that Simone stays healthy and makes it to Rio.

#5 Paul on 08.27.14 at 10:20 am

You are so pretentious. All covet all lose. 2016 is far away.

#6 JO on 08.27.14 at 12:39 pm

At least Simone isn’t held together by tape and a prayer, which is what Bross was at this point in time.

#7 Saskia on 08.28.14 at 3:31 am

I am usually are reluctant to say anything about a competition two years away because of obvious reasons but Simone is extremely talented and if she is not slowed by injury I think she could possibly be the next Olympic champ.
I think (and hope) she definitely will repeat as world champ. I don’t see anyone right now who can beat her.
Ohashi was good but not as good as Simone who can content on all events. Ohashi’s vault and floor were never (and will never be) as strong as Simone’s.
I LOVE Simone’s gymnastics and attitude. She is smiley and seems happy without it being over the top and fake like so many other gymnasts

#8 Matt on 08.28.14 at 11:54 pm

I’m also usually loathe to make Olympic predictions so far out from the games, but Simone Biles looks AT LEAST as good at this point as Aliya Mustafina did in 2010. And I’d argue that she has more natural athletic talent (but less grace) than Mustafina, along with more toughness.

She already has one of the hardest floor routines in the world, and it looks so easy for her that upgrading the difficulty is practically a given. She may become the first female gymnast under the current CoP to have a 7.0 SV on floor.

Same for vault, where the Amanar is already in the high 9s for execution and the Yurchenko 1/2-on 1/2-off looks so easy it’s BEGGING to become a Cheng within the next two years.

Her bar routine, which was a 6.1SV last year has been watered down to protect her healing shoulder for 2014, but could eaily be bumbed back up to a potential mid 15s score.

Her beam is also one of the more difficult in the world and could be bumped up as she continues to develop.

I agree with the blogger that Biles could be the Kohei Uchimura of this quadrennium. Critics are going to continue to bemoan her lack of grace and perfect form, but when you have insane difficulty, you can sacrifice some form/execution and you’re still going to come out on top. Gymnastics is a SPORT first and foremost, and right now Simone Biles is the most talented female ATHLETE competing in it.