Biles, Ross, Nichols

2. Madison Kocian, Dallas, Texas, 15.400
3. Kyla Ross, Aliso Viejo, Calif., 15.000
4. Simone Biles, Spring, Texas, 14.750
5. Maggie Nichols, Little Canada, Minn., 14.700
6. Veronica Hults, Coppell, Texas, 14.500

0.1 dismount stick bonus

Ashton’s E-score was a fair bit too high. Still, she’s one of the best Bar routines in the USA.

Biles, 17, scored 61.7 points at the tune-up meet in Hoffman Estates, Ill., beating 2012 Olympian and reigning World all-around silver medalist Kyla Ross by 1.65.

“I just came in here with a positive mind, and I’ve been out for a while, so I just tried to hit all four and have fun with it,” Biles said on Universal Sports.

“I hope [U.S. National Team coordinator Martha Karolyi] was smiling.” …

Biles and Ross will be the headliners at the P&G Championships, Aug. 21-24 in Pittsburgh. The team for October’s World Championships in Nanning, China, will be named later this summer. …

Simone Biles goes wire to wire at Secret Classic

Simone

#1 Jasmine on 08.02.14 at 7:38 pm

Bailie Key is still a junior.

#2 Tdog on 08.02.14 at 7:58 pm

Great meet still believe Simone was overscored more like a 61. To 60.5 just shows judges have favorites kyla was my favorite today came back from an injury and rocked it the girl that got a. 15.7 on ub kudos best ub of anyone this yr us Chinese or gb haters will hate best ub this yr

#3 Tdog on 08.02.14 at 8:01 pm

Watch out Simone next yr bailie key will beat her

#4 Marcus on 08.02.14 at 8:16 pm

Tdog, learn gymnastics, please. Simone wasn’t any more overscored than Kyla. Gymnastics is more than just looking nice, it’s also about amplitude and ease.

Kyla did NOT have ease on bars or floor. She had numerous form errors 3 events (VT, UB, FX) but people only see tall and skinny.

Simone hits all but one split (that nasty switch 1/2 on beam) and she keeps decent form, not perfect, but nothing majorly deductible.

You say Bailie Key will beat her, but Bailie’s technique speaks for itself. Good in most places, but not good on many key skills that could cost her major points.

I’ll see you next year, hon.

#5 Tdog on 08.02.14 at 8:31 pm

Marcus you don’t have a clue about gymnastics just get glasses and watch it again kyla looked a lot better than Simone outside of difficulty. And your thought on bailie you must be smoking something she’ll beat Simone next yr her ub bb and floor is a lot better with dif and execution she’s getting close to a 60 as a jr if she gets the armarar and cheng down she’ll beat Simone nxt yr so Simone was overscore more so than kyla in no way she should have been scored over a 60.5 watch the meet again and get your glasses checked

#6 Biles, Ross, Nichols | Gymnastics News Network. on 08.02.14 at 11:31 pm

[…] Biles, Ross, Nichols […]

#7 Marcus on 08.03.14 at 5:56 am

LOL, you’ve given me no reasons why she shouldn’t have scored over 60.5 aside from “she was overscored” and “get [my] glasses checked.”

I’ve been reading every COP since 2006, I think I know what I’m talking about. But since you won’t tell me anything concrete, I’ll just make my exit.

#8 Tdog on 08.03.14 at 9:28 am

Ya make your exit Marcus what are you a book worm that’s about it I haven’t gotten any thing from you that would make any sense

#9 coach Rick on 08.03.14 at 11:14 am

Hey guys. Take your brawl out of this Bar. :-)

For the record, Marcus is one of the most astute Gymnastics pundits on the internet.

Still, take your fight outside.

#10 Jennifer on 08.03.14 at 12:13 pm

Why is no one talking about Brenna Dowell? What happened to her on bars? Was she injured? I can’t find any info!

#11 coach Rick on 08.03.14 at 1:44 pm

She went for perhaps the most difficult routine in the competition. Messed up a couple of times. Fell. And finally decided not to go for her dismount. Only did Flyaway.

No injury.

#12 Sparky on 08.03.14 at 2:04 pm

Brenna didn’t do a flyaway….she just stopped after her giants and hopped down. It was odd to see live — everyone thought she was injured. The routine seemed wild and out of control from the very first release though. If she could reign it in, it would be great!

#13 Rae on 08.03.14 at 2:07 pm

Dowell didn’t even do a flyaway. She jumped down at the back of her swing.

#14 Papa Liukin on 08.03.14 at 2:35 pm

Brenna sprained her ankle a couple of weeks ago. The routine was starting to fall apart, so I imagine she became mentally rattled. That plus an existing injury can result in a disaster. Probably a good decision to stop, but I’m sorry her routine was a miss. Much pressure on her to hit at nationals now.

#15 Tdog on 08.03.14 at 5:26 pm

Well if he’s so well known last I checked he attacked me first i was stating how I felt and he talked smack first

#16 Test on 08.04.14 at 8:53 am

If Brenna had succeed, what would her DF been?

#17 Kari on 08.04.14 at 11:44 am