connecting kip to cast handstand

JAO is back with another excellent tutorial.

Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.

I’m teaching this series all week at Camp so the timing of this release was perfect for me.

Love targeting the straddle cast handstand right from the start. Most girls over age-12 will be competing straddle cast. :-) Don’t waste too much time on straight body cast.

Love the “dump” drills. Kids need to know what to do when they lean too far over, otherwise they won’t be confident in leaning over far enough.

At Camp we’ve been doing similar drills from long kip rather than glide kip. I find the “late” kip action is easier if the girls do not need to worry about the glide.

related – Dave Kenwright – Talking Kips and Casts

#1 connecting kip to cast handstand | Gymnastics News Network. on 07.09.14 at 7:03 am

[…] connecting kip to cast handstand […]

#2 Amy on 07.09.14 at 11:28 am

Can you elaborate on this “late kip”? I am trying to get my long hang kip right now! I can get almost on top of the bar but not quite enough to shift. Super close!!

#3 coach Rick on 07.09.14 at 3:23 pm

I refer to “late” on a kip as meaning waiting as LONG as possible on the glide, then bringing the shins to the bar as SLOWLY as possible. Then doing the kip itself as FAST as possible.

It feels like: Slow, Slow, FAST.

Long kips are normally later than glide kips, resulting in a stronger cast.

#4 JimfromSeattle on 07.10.14 at 2:16 am

i’m (seriously) curious……why do most coaches teach
“ankles” to bars as the basic “reaction” position from the forward swing when most, if not all international gymnasts kip with their knees (or top of shins) to the bars?
……?….

#5 TCO on 07.10.14 at 2:07 pm

I think the straddle up should be disallowed.

#6 ryan troop on 07.10.14 at 10:49 pm

Jim,

(in my opinion…)

Think of it as a progression of strength and age. Ankles to the bar is easier, and requires less muscle than shins / knees.

It also makes it a bit of a longer process, and gives younger gymnasts just a bit longer to think. You will see more advanced gymnasts kip + cast very fast and use that speed to their advantage. Younger gymnasts may not be capable, or even able, to take advantage of this.

TCO it’s a staple of women’s bars. It looks pretty when done right. Also, not all girls are going to be elite. If they can do straight body, great! If not, why keep them down and stifle progress?

#7 Amy on 07.11.14 at 12:42 am

In relation to your ankles vs shins vs knees comment, I just started getting my kip this spring – I found that the ones I made, almost every time I wound up slamming my shin into the bar, LOL. So perhaps there is something to that shins to bar comment! :P

#8 Chris on 07.11.14 at 9:55 am

Let’s analyze this from a purely mechanical perspective. If the gymnast swings the glide out and achieves optimal extension with the center-of-gravity at its highest and furthest away from the bar (in theory, a straight line from the bar), this maximizes the swing. Thus, if you bring your shins to the bar, your C-of-G will be coming back towards the bar (i.e. axis of rotation) too quickly and you are not maximizing the swing (i.e. torque).

So, based purely on mechanics, I’d argue that those kids whose shins are coming into the bar have glide swings that aren’t nearly as proficient and effective as others. As a result, they are relying more on strength as opposed to technique.

#9 TCO on 07.11.14 at 3:31 pm

Learning straight body kch is a perfectly reasonable difficulty move and much less than some of the releases and the like that girls are doing.

I get that it makes sense to do this given the code, but the code should be changed. It’s a freaking press handstand.

#10 Just Another Opinion on 07.11.14 at 5:21 pm

I’d love to see video of the girls you coach TCO. Show us how it’s done, man!

#11 TCO on 07.13.14 at 6:25 pm

I’ve never coached any girls. I’m just a commenter.