Bars is not at all the worst evaluated apparatus in College gymnastics.
But it could be better. In 2014 there’s too much emphasis on stuck landings.
Possible rules changes:
• deduct 0.05 for high to low bar transfers not finishing in handstand
• deduct more for lack of height on dismounts
• require same bar somersault release (as in FIG rules)
• start deducting 0.05 each time for flexed feet past the low bar on Giants. And on Tkachev.
• placing judges so they could see feet apart on double layout dismount
Our 2014 Bars Champion Bridget Sloan has always had flexed feet on Tkachev skills.
Bridget’s feet are less flexed now than in the past (2008 VIDEO), happily.
If those rules are in place now, it’s obvious they are not being enforced. Start enforcing them to better separate the best of the best routines.
Leave a comment if you have additional ideas for improving Bars judging.