Brandie Jay – NCAA DTY

Sounds like she did the double twist by … accident. :-)

Marcus, the NastiaFan, sends a link to Annie DiLuzio taking 2nd in the 2007 NCAA Vault Finals.

Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.

@kellilleslie notes that Kristen Maloney competed one to win Vault at the NCAA Championships 2005.

Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.

@uncletimmensgym confirms that Mohini Bhardwaj competed a Double Twisting Yurchenko in the NCAA 2001. OLD vaulting horse.

Watch it on YouTube here.

There may have been other College DTYs. Leave a comment if you know of one.

#1 Nico on 04.19.14 at 8:57 pm

It’s not the first one in NCAA. Mohini Bhardwaj did a DTY when she was at UCLA.

I’m not sure if there have been others, but that one from Brandie Jay caught me by surprise. A shame that vault wasn’t worth it.

#2 Tommy on 04.19.14 at 9:08 pm

Kristen Maloney won the 2005 vault title with her pretty-much-stuck-DTY.

#3 Nico on 04.19.14 at 9:09 pm

Thanks for posting that, Tommy! I had a feeling Maloney had competed a DTY at least once during one of her few healthy seasons. Glad to know I wasn’t imagining it.

#4 Tommy on 04.19.14 at 9:26 pm

Kristen went all out in 2005, winning beam and competing her full twisting double layout on FX. I haven’t seen any other video her DTY in college, so I think that was the only time she competed it.

But Mohini was the first to compete the DTY (she was training elite and made the world AA finals that year so it’s not too surprising) but normally did a 3/2 from what I’ve seen. You can see her DTY around 1:22 or so (don’t blink!)

#5 Nico on 04.19.14 at 9:29 pm

Heh, I hope UCLA gets another vaulter soon. They were really hurting without Zamarripa this season.

#6 Hal Halvorson on 04.19.14 at 9:31 pm

Way to go Brandie … remember she was Pan American Games vaulting Champion…. many kudos to Gene Koehnke of GK Gymnastics in Fort Collins for teaching her that vault !

#7 Brandie Jay – 1st NCAA DTY | Gymnastics News Network. on 04.20.14 at 12:53 am

[…] Brandie Jay – 1st NCAA DTY […]

#8 Marcus on 04.20.14 at 6:07 am

Annie DiLuzio was doing DTY’s in 2007, too

#9 Quentin on 04.20.14 at 10:36 am

By the time Georgia was vaulting it was obvious they were not going to win. Do you think she was just warming it up for vault finals?

#10 balabanov11 on 04.22.14 at 1:04 am