new Floor Rules

Sporteverywhere’s Code of Points 101 is one of many trying to make sense of the latest mid-Quad rules change recently posted, then withdrawn, by the FIG WTC.

Or was it posted, withdrawn, and reposted?

Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.

(via MCSMaria)

#1 new Floor Rules | Gymnastics News Network. on 12.26.13 at 8:04 am

[…] new Floor Rules […]

#2 Jamie Ellacott on 12.26.13 at 3:04 pm

I’m loving the red x’s

#3 Jacob on 12.26.13 at 6:33 pm

I really don’t mind having gymnasts start out with some choreography or a dance element at the beginning of the routine. Giulia Steingruber does this and she has a very difficult yet beautiful routine. What I do have a problem with is no direct tumbling passes on the same diagonal. This is going to cause lack of choreography, which the FIG says they want but I guess not. Gymnasts are going to be to busy doing leaps into the next corner to have real choreography. The only way I could see that working is if the gymnast only does three tumbling passes, like Black does in the example. But I don’t see that happening because then SVs would go down and gymnasts/coaches wont want to do that. I think that if the rule is kept then most floor routines will start to look super similar whether it be in composition or choreography and there wont be any originality. FIG, stop contradicting yourselves and get a grip!! lol.

#4 Jacob on 12.26.13 at 6:36 pm

Sorry Ellie Black is an example, she is not in the video.

#5 Mark on 12.26.13 at 7:39 pm

They need to show a clip of Mustafina’s triple full with a big red X over the entire image

#6 anon1 on 12.28.13 at 12:29 pm

@Mark – Ditto!!! That Mustafina 3/1 should be valued as a single based on the ‘catastrophe deduction’.

But I think these rule changes are absurd. How about we just start rewarding choreography in the code. Call it ‘choreo bonus’. Its so ridiculous at this point. Just go back to the 88-96 rules area and let gymnasts be clean, safe, stylish, and competitive! Basketball still has the same rules, why cant gymnastics???

#7 AB Coach on 12.28.13 at 4:53 pm

So can anyone say if the back to back diagonal tumbling rule is in effect as of Jan 1, 2014 or not? Was the rule revoked? These are HUGE changes to many routines that will take time to work through…when did this come out?