Woodward Des Moines?

Shawn Johnson announced some big and surprising news.

Lunchables and Shawn Johnson inspire kids to lunch their tummies right.

Since her retirement in June, the 2008 Olympic gold medalist has appeared on a second season of Dancing With the Stars and been working on a variety of projects. None has her more excited than a gym that she plans to open with Woodward Camp in West Des Moines this year, the newspaper reports.

Johnson said the facility will be a place for children to try a variety of sports from BMX to gymnastics. She said she’ll be helping to design the curriculum.

“I’ve never been this excited about a project,” Johnson told USA Today. “Kids and fitness and exercise and having the freedom to learn what you want to do is kind of my passion. I feel like gymnastics was a little restrictive in not allowing me to have freedom and to be able to give that option is our main focus.” …

Shawn Johnson Hits Ski Slopes, Talks About Opening West Des Moines Gym

via @gymnewstics

#1 Jody on 01.28.13 at 10:15 pm

Does this mean she’s competing with Chow?

#2 Inks on 01.28.13 at 10:20 pm

Undermining her relationship with her sport and her coach in one fell swoop – efficient, and lucrative, I’m sure.

#3 Melanie on 01.29.13 at 3:32 am

No this means that she is opening a gym. Why would she compete with Chow? She retired almost a year ago.

#4 PT on 01.29.13 at 4:06 am

she wont “run it” in terms of the nitty gritty, day to day grind. she’ll probably be the “face” of the gym.

maybe it will be more of a rec/freestyle play gym, rather than squad programs

#5 coach Rick on 01.29.13 at 4:17 am

I assume it will be another in the Woodward Camp franchises. More Action Sports than Gymnastics and Cheer.

It may be one of the summer camps only.

My guess is that Chow will end up being a coach in the venture.

#6 PT on 01.29.13 at 7:01 am

I dont think she undermines the sport or chow with the quote “Kids …having the freedom to learn what you want to do is kind of my passion. I feel like gymnastics was a little restrictive in not allowing me to have freedom …”

EVERYONE and their dog who has any involvement with sport knows that ANY elite sport is restrictive in terms of “freedom” to do/eat/play/rest/holiday/learn what you want at the pace you want to go. that’s why they are the best of the best. I dont see that as a diss to gym or Chow at all.

I think Shawn has enough respect for Chow to do this with his blessing! Rec/holiday gym or competitive!

#7 Cat on 01.29.13 at 12:18 pm

Oh, if it’s a summer camp, that puts a completely different complexion on things.

Otherwise, being the public face of a new gym in Des Moines would definitely seem an affront to Chow.

#8 ak on 01.30.13 at 1:31 pm

Woodward is a summer camp and a place where kids go for a day or parties or etc not daily training.

#9 coach Rick on 01.31.13 at 3:30 am

Kids actually sign up for Woodward by the week. It’s a residence Camp.