unusual P Bar dismounts

Last week I helped out at Taiso, Saskatoon, as the Head Coach — Markos Baikos — was away at an international meet.

Parallel Bars dismounts are boring. Almost everyone competes double pike. A couple of the guys started playing with alternatives.

Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.

… Yes. They KNOW they need a double front like Charlie Tamayo. (VIDEO)

One reason I’m happy that Marcel is our Olympic Silver medalist in the AA is his very cool P Bar dismount.

Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.

SUPER GYMNASTICS FAN:

The only gymnasts I saw do a p bars dismount that wasn’t a double back piked at the 2012 Olympics:

1-2 Daniel Corral and Mykola Kuksenkov : Double front tucked
3. David Belyavskiy: Double front piked
4. Marcel Nguyen: full twisting double back

related – Facebook – Taiso boys landing drill – dropping from the Ring Tower (VIDEO)

#1 Laura Marcella on 10.03.12 at 8:14 pm

On parallel bars, is it way way more difficult to do anything else than a double pike dismount? Or are the gymnasts too tired from having their arms slam into the bars after each release (it makes me cringe every time)?

#2 greentea on 10.03.12 at 9:15 pm

same, Laura. I cringe so hard watching it. pb & still rings look like medieval torturing methods.

#3 Hutch on 10.03.12 at 10:55 pm

I was always a fan of Jair Lynch’s double front barani out dismount. I can’t find a clip of his EF routine but it’s in this TF video at 3:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTBKI9G3NDI&feature=player_detailpage#t=180s

#4 Coach S on 10.03.12 at 11:16 pm

There was a German who did a full-twisting double back off the end of the p-bars at the 88 Olympics. That was pretty cool.

#5 Hutch on 10.03.12 at 11:21 pm

I also like Calvo’s full-in dismount off the end of the PBs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03g5P_vyliw&feature=player_detailpage#t=68s

#6 Hell Yes Komachi on 10.04.12 at 1:05 am

FIG undervalues original dismounts. I remember in the 80′s a german gymnast did double front off the end. Super cool, but I think the FIG rate it less than a normal double front. Crazy!

#7 American Gymnastics on 10.04.12 at 12:24 pm

Tippelt was the East German who did the double front off the end. The 1/2 in 1/2 out on the end is cool, but that is a lot riding on your hands still being good at the end of the routine. Plus, with the mat configuration, there isn’t a good landing area. I’m sure we are going to see a lot more twisting double backs off the side because it’s value has been upgraded.

#8 Justin on 10.07.12 at 8:48 pm

I had a teammate who successfully competed an arabian double off p-bars. Unfortunately we didn’t get video as we had no clue he was going to throw it versus the normal double back tuck.