crappy Reisport grips?

Luke Wiwatowski:

I’m having some trouble with Reisport guards of late. The leather seems to be breaking more often and wearing out quicker. I’ve heard that the leather at the moment is going through a bad batch. In any case I’m on the hunt for a new brand

Reisport Guards and Bad Leather

I like expensive Reisport grips best for guys, inexpensive Grips Etc for girls.

But Reisport quality often suffers. I recall older gymnasts ripping them in half first turn on the apparatus. :(

Leave a comment on Luke’s blog if you have advice.

#1 Loa on 10.26.12 at 11:05 am

They do suck! About 10 years ago, when I was a gymnast, they completely ripped in the middle of my routine. I went flying over the low bar and landed on floor off the side mats, and hit my head on the floor…. Don’t remember the rest…
Bailie is a good brand.

#2 phlyteschool on 10.26.12 at 10:56 pm

I only order GS Grips. Made in Oregon USA and the only grips I allow our team to use. Never have we had an issue with quality!

#3 kinesthesist on 10.27.12 at 11:40 am

I’ve seen them rip first day of use on trapeze too, which is surprising because there’s less rotational friction…

Any other recommendations for men’s grips?

#4 American Gymnastics on 10.27.12 at 2:02 pm

Bailie’s are so thick and bulky. I have nothing but good things to say about US Glove. I am especially fond of the little kid grips that they have called “hot shot” grips. If you have a 7-8 year-old who is doing giants and has tiny hands, these are the best.

#5 coach Rick on 10.27.12 at 4:05 pm

The Bailie’s women’s grips are soft, easy to break-in.

You must be referring to their MAG grips.

#6 American Gymnastics on 10.28.12 at 12:28 am

The MAG ones are so thick, and the neoprene smells bad and is hard to clean. However, I’m sure some people must love them.

#7 gymcoach on 10.28.12 at 6:34 pm

I have never had a problem with Reisport grips. Never had a problem with them as a gymnast nor for my men’s teams. They are the grips I prefer they wear. In my experience if people don’t treat their grips with care they have unusual breakage. Rarly do grips come defective.

#8 Han on 10.28.12 at 7:07 pm

I don’t know about the MAG ones, but I do use the Bailie grips for myself. I’ve also never had a problem with Reisport’s quality, I just didn’t find them very comfortable. As Rick said, Bailie WAG grips are super soft.

American Gymnastics – thanks for the links to US Glove, looks good.