Aussie school bans playground cartwheels

THE fun is over for some Sydney schoolchildren who dare to do cartwheels and handstands in the playground.

Drummoyne Public School has banned handstands, cartwheels and somersaults during lunch and recess unless “under the supervision of a trained gymnastics teacher and with correct equipment.” …

The move has confounded parents such as Rebecca Chown, who has collected more than 250 signatures on a petition calling for the rule to be overturned. …

Fun over for schoolchildren at Drummoyne Public School as handstands, cartwheels and somersaults are banned

Principal Gail Charlier has yet to respond.

Here’s the real danger to Aussie kids:

… For children and adolescents, the 2007-08 National Health Survey results indicate that 24.9% of children aged 5 – 17 years are overweight or obese. …

source

(via @GymnasticsView)

#1 Taz on 08.27.12 at 8:01 pm

I’m not sure I agree with the implication that fat kids should do cartwheels, etc., but thin kids shouldn’t. Why not encourage cartwheels and everything for all kids? Exercise is good for all regardless of body size. Inactive people have more health problems than active folks, regardless of body size, so let’s encourage activity for all!

Or did you just throw the fat kids in there because, ew, fat kids? It’s hard to tell.

#2 coach Rick on 08.27.12 at 8:07 pm

All children should be able to do cartwheel on sand or grass.

All children should play outdoors as much as possible. Sure they will get the odd bruise, scrape and even broken bone. It’s worth it to establish a lifetime of active fitness.

#3 AnnaKatherine on 08.27.12 at 8:45 pm

Whilst this seems dramatic, I daresay, and having worked in the public schools system in Australia, there is a background/bulidup to this decision being made. Perhaps there have been several injuries in quick succession? We all know too that there are many school kids capable of doing gym skills, but then there are many who are untrained AND not capable, but who look and copy, and thus are at more of a risk of injury.

Also, another point to consider is what kind of playground that school has. Drummonye is near the water, but is an older more developed area – so the likelihood of it having a small, concrete playground is greater (in Australia, in general, newer schools place great emphasis on spacious grass grounds if they can).
to this story

#4 Nik on 08.27.12 at 10:12 pm

Honestly, I would say more kids get injured walking up stairs between the classrooms in a typical school. In my class in all of primary school there were two broken bones; one kids was running on grass, tripped and broke a wrist and I think the other kid fell over in a classroom when another kid stuck his foot out to purposefully trip him.

Cartwheels and handstands are no more dangerous than running around. Bridges and headstands maybe but faffing about throwing cartwheels not really

#5 georgert on 08.27.12 at 10:39 pm

This is just another manifestation of schools responding to parents who so obsessively over-protect their kids that they end up sucking the life out of them. I get it, kids can and do get hurt, but to try and legislate away activities that kids routinely do as they grow up is ludicrous. Failed handstands or cartwheels end up getting clumsily piked down anyway.

#6 shergymrag on 08.28.12 at 7:18 am

I agree with AnnaK. They probably don’t want untrained kids doing these things. Of course, gymnastics coaches often state they don’t want their trained kids doing these things outside of the gym anyway.

#7 riseofdragons on 08.28.12 at 6:32 pm

This is ridiculous. I agree completely with georgert. Are they going to do away with the monkey bars because you could fall off them? No swings either because you could get hurt on those to. Oh, and no running! I twisted my ankle once running outside on the playground. Probably shouldn’t let the kids play with balls either. Someone might get hurt if a ball hits them.
I was doing cartwheels and handstands before I even knew gymnastics existed. My mother tells me I was upside down before I could even walk. To ban these movements is just absurd!

#8 gymnastbars on 08.28.12 at 7:58 pm

@riseofdragons – at course I attended recently I learned some schools ARE banning balls. I was so shocked that I missed what their excuse was!! I have also heard of schools banning floor hockey sticks (claiming they are too dangerous)… it is very sad! I’ve heard of some teachers who only allow games, such as tag, to be played by running in a large circle instead of moving around freely in open space.