did Melanie Jones win Floor?

This is one sweet, smart routine. With plenty of crowd appeal.

Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.

Her Aussie fans back home feel this was #1.

54 scores were given in the Floor final. And all but one ranged from 9.85 – 9.95.

From the 6 judges, Ding got 5 9.95s. EHH and Stack-Eaton got four. Jones, much less well known, only got three.

None of the top gymnasts distinguished themselves enough to be the clear winner, I thought. So it was a bit of popularity contest, in the end.

CalicoIzzy:

You put Melanie in the UGA leotard with Kat’s name, and she wins floor finals.

Floor final was a joke

#1 JO on 04.24.12 at 5:19 am

My only issue is that there is no double flipping pass. But she would have scored higher had she been from a different team.

#2 CaptainIRIE on 04.24.12 at 7:07 am

Jones routine was a brilliant display of working the code & beautiful extension and form. However IMHO the ‘wow’ factor was missing. The routine and music appeared monotone. Her skills were well done but lacked that little bit of extra amplitude to take the Championship title. She needs a bit of ‘chutzpah’.
I don’t find myself thinking about that routine as I did Kat’s. When she was done, I thought “wow!”, she left it all on the floor. Shazam! What I was thinking about after Melanie’s routine was; “I can’t believe Kathy Johnson just dissed Kat Ding in front of her ex coach “.

#3 twgymfan on 04.24.12 at 7:13 am

No, I think Megan Ferguson should have won!

#4 Katie on 04.24.12 at 1:18 pm

This is a very well executed routine. If the judges were doing their jobs, they would look past the fact that it is a bit dull and reward it.

(I was underwhelmed by this routine on EF day, and still am.)

#5 anonymous on 04.24.12 at 5:14 pm

Clearly she’s good at combo tumbling, but I think it’s really unfair of the commentators to single her out for code-whoring. Lots of intl elites have trouble with her first pass, and front full-layout barani + jump is as hard as a double tuck any day!

I’m starting to think they should either eliminate individual competition at NCAAs, or just have a separate competition using an open ended scoring system so it’s possible to distinguish between these routines.

#6 Gregg Smith on 04.26.12 at 7:59 pm

I love the routine because it is so graceful and the execution is perf. You really need to be able to hear the music to appreciate the drama that is in this floor routine. I get pretty tire of all the super high energy floor routines with the canned, made for gymnastics, music. Thanks Melanie and the coaches for being willing to be unique.