Annie Mist – CrossFit champ

Update: Annie was a gymnast at Gerpla until age-16. Why am I not surprised. Thanks for the info, Gummi Brynjólfsson.

Annie Mist Thorisdottir from Iceland won the CrossFit world championships over the weekend in Los Angeles and has now been personally congratulated by President Olafur Ragnar Grimsson. …

Annie Mist won the CrossFit world title at the weekend, including ISK 30 million in prize money. She won three out of ten events and came third in four events; putting her on 842 points — 43 points ahead of Kristan Clever from the USA who came in second. …

Next Annie heard from the taxman. She owes the Icelandic supertax. They want about $111,000, nearly half the prize money.

Annie is welcome to move to Canada. Any time.

… I’m still not convinced CrossFit is a healthy competitive sport, however. Watch Annie at an earlier competition this season (VIDEO) and you’ll see what I mean.

#1 Deniz on 08.09.11 at 4:10 am

Interesting pull-ups. I instinctually cringe at the arch-hollow action she does, which would be considered horrendous form in the gymnastics world. But now I’m wondering…does anyone have any opinions on the pros/cons to the two different styles of pull-ups? (one being with the swing, the other from a dead hang). I feel like both could be useful for separate reasons.

#2 coach Rick on 08.09.11 at 10:09 am

Personally I think beat swing pull-ups (with good form) are better than ‘good’ technique pull-ups … for gymnasts. Ours is a power sport so speed (with form) is the goal.

#3 Gudmundur Brynjolfsson on 08.09.11 at 3:02 pm

Annie Mist was an artistic gymnast until she was 16 at Gerpla

#4 Blair Lowe on 08.09.11 at 6:33 pm

CrossFit purports to use their kipping pullups to incite a metabolic response. CrossFit is also known for a ridiculous amount of SLAP tears in their shoulders and more likely it is their incredible pullup training volume with some other poor movements and the fact that many CFers train kipping pullups without any basic competency in strict pullups. This has been debated in their circles and forum a gagillion times. They also use a unique kipping form called the ” Butterfly ” which can be very destructive on the shoulders when not done correctly (it cycles fasters than the arch/hollow kip).

A far better dynamic version of pullups would be hopping versions or done with resistance bands or weight. Kipping versions usually only the stretch reflex of the shoulder (open/close) is ok but I don’t see that we need to care about involving the spine and hip in the process. Get a strict pullup, climb the rope without legs or go home.

Annie Thor’s daughter was also a polevaulter I heard aka gymnast in TrackNField.

#5 Blair Lowe on 08.09.11 at 6:37 pm

that tax is ridiculous but that’s what it ends up being around if you hit the lottery in the states, at least CA. You come home with 50% if you receive it in lump sum.

I wonder if that supertax is what they impose on all prize money from sports. I mean, really in a sense it’s income, sort of or that argument could be made of especially when compared to golfers.

#6 coach Rick on 08.09.11 at 10:50 pm

Thanks Gummi. I updated the post.

#7 coach Rick on 08.09.11 at 10:53 pm

… seems to me the need for speed ruins the technique in some cases, and might also result in unnecessary injury.

Better would be adding resistance to win. As you say.

#8 M.L. on 08.14.11 at 9:38 pm

Kipping pullups vs correct pullups are the equivalent of a gymnast doing a standing back by whipping backwards as hard as she can and just making it to her feet again vs setting up and pulling correctly. Yes, both did a pullup/back tuck but are the two moves the same? Too much crossfit is a guaranteed blown shoulder, as a previous commenter mentioned.

#9 M.L. on 08.14.11 at 9:43 pm

Also, Rick, your line of “ours is a power sport, so speed is the goal” contradicts itself. If it’s a power sport, train for power (that would be weighted pullups). If it’s speed you want, train for speed (I think Blair’s suggestion of jumping to a high bar and pulling up is a good one for this type of movement). But you don’t train for speed and expect power to come from it. You wouldn’t work just sprints to the vault and expect the punch off the board to improve would you?