introducing backward hip circle

The latest tutorial by JAO.

Training back hip circles with an emphasis on getting into the tap swing in the level 5 routine.

Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.

In addition to the cast to ‘hollow’ position, I like to have beginners do some from cast to ‘archy’ position. (The timing of the late drop is easier.)

Simultaneous with these drills, it would be ideal that the gymnast is learning backward uprise to backward hip circle on straps bar.

If you’re not confident to spot the ‘airplane propeller’, the alternative is to do backward hip circle series without spot until the gymnast can do 2 or 3 in series with speed and tight body. That will take longer, however.

#1 Jim from Seattle on 03.09.11 at 12:05 pm

just asking….
isn’t the only real issue that the gymnast not “drop” his/her butt off the bar?
5’38” to teach back hip circle?
how much does that relate to in “gym” time?
not facetious, just don’t understand utility of this progression….thoughts?

#2 Jacob on 03.09.11 at 12:32 pm

jim
i don t think you have ever coached bars before, if you don t understand the importance of hands on spotting and shaping and doing these types of drills to prepare you athletes for success longterm then nothing JAO or I can tell you that will help you.
-UUU Coaches that dont get their hands dirty and just sit their and bark fix that.

#3 coach Rick on 03.09.11 at 8:14 pm

That’s a good one, Jacob.

Jim has coached how many World Championships?

#4 Jb on 03.09.11 at 8:57 pm

If you don’t shape in a back hip circle and enforce the tight dish and candle, and allow the girls to pike around the bar with a slow wrist shift and bent arms, you have zero hope of teaching a clear hip circle. ( or any circle skill for that matter!) spending lots of time on basics= quicker and better advanced skills

#5 Blair Lowe on 03.09.11 at 9:37 pm

Yep, I really need to get back to just hands-on shaping a lot on bars and other events.

Goodbye Mr. left elbow, not having tendonitis was pretty cool. Then again, I’m old and I suck anyways whereas it will be a worthy sacrifice for them.

#6 Jacob on 03.10.11 at 9:06 am

…….if you dont not change with the times and understand the need for this with todays breed of kid, then I don’t think coaching a worlds or the olympics will help you get a girl from level 4 to level 7 seamlessly in todays competitive culture. this video says it all

#7 Jim from Seattle on 03.10.11 at 12:03 pm

no need to get all bent out of “shape”…..gymnastics pun…get it?

I think we’re all for correct positions….my specific question (and I’d suggest that coaches should ALWAYS question their assumptions/premises…..m-a-y-b-e the video is the most effective/efficient progression….our challenge as teachers, given the limited time (nomatter how much time you have available!) is to find the optimal (whatever that might be) efficient critical path.

If anybody re-reads the original post, I wasn’t contradicting, I was “questioning” the frankly, NUMBER of progressions and wondering how much time coaches might think necessary.

Specific comments re: comments:
1. Jacob: my hands are dirty….sometimes (at least according to my wife…so are my thoughts! ;->)
2. Jacob:
i’m not sure how you think today’s kids are different from previous generations….
(respectfully)…from your comment, i presume you’re american….getting from level 4 to 7 is not a significant issue to me…i’m more interested in getting a beginner from zero to optionals….
3. Jb:
(with respect)
a. if a gymnast has strong abs and shoulders she will not drop her hips off bar and if you teach “head in/down”, the shape takes care of itself…doesn’t it?
b. “bent arms”? if you teach bhcircle through this “progression”, then i’m comfortable suggesting that “reasonable people can disagree”
4. Rick:
re WC’s: fewer than Archaev, THAT’S for SURE!

#8 JO on 03.10.11 at 12:55 pm

My questions are how much time do you spend doing each drill and how much practice time do you have with these little guys?

#9 coach Rick on 03.10.11 at 6:39 pm

Thanks Jim. JAO’s tutorials are the best on the net.

VERY thorough.

In the real world you and I would do far fewer, depending on the gymnast. Far, far fewer with boys.

But his work is very useful, I think. Especially for new coaches still formulating their target progressions.

#10 UK_Coach on 03.13.11 at 9:27 am

If you were starting with a 5 year old in pre-competitive, perhaps you would use all of these progressions. But knowledge of them all, and the ability to call on one as needed to fix a specific problem is far more useful and applicable to all gymnasts.
I also have found JAO’s videos very useful.

#11 Nikki E on 08.31.13 at 3:03 am

This is fantastic. I love the progressions, all of them. As well as mainstream I coach Special Olympics athletes…ranging quite largely in age, weight, and height. It’s been quite an interesting journey and I’m still struggling sometimes with ways to ‘get it right’. These progressions have been a huge help, both in improving my coaching and their ability. I wish there were more visual aids out there to help us overcome some of the obstacles faced by these gymnasts, but things like this one are really a great help.
So thank you.